Diamond Teeth Mary Passes

Rich Gonzalez rgonzale@soleil.acomp.usf.edu
Wed Apr 5 01:41:14 EDT 2000

>From one of our Suncoast Blues Society officers.

She was a great blues lady. Played at the local blues place,
Skipper's Smokehouse on her birthdays as a tradition.

RIP

Rich G.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 23:09:07 -0400
From: Ken Torvik <bluesmen@mindspring.com>
To: bluesmen@mindspring.com
Subject: Bad Blues News

Hi Blues Lovers,

It's with a heavy heart that I come to you today. We've lost another one
of our own. Early Tuesday morning Diamond Teeth Mary passed away. She
was 97.

According to Rock Bottom she had refused to eat recently. She had lost
her will to live. Check local papers for her obituary.

She certainly has been an inspiration to the Blues community here. There
will be a memorial jam at Skipper's on Tuesday May 2. I will let you
know more as the day nears.

Per Mary's request, she will be cremated and her ashes taken to the
railroad tracks near her hometown of Huntington, West Virginia. She
wanted her remains spread there since that's where she began her journey
away from her abusive step-father to freedom. She refers to this in her
recitation before the song, Walking Mary's Blues, on our SBS cd.

The last weekend of August won't be the same without Mary's birthday to
celebrate.

Ken