Youguns and such

JackDrake JackDrake@JCOLLINSON.PRESTEL.CO.UK
Tue May 18 04:46:39 EDT 1999

No PW, Bonnie isn't racist. As far as I can see she's simply making the
transparently obvious point that a particular culture is generally more
likely to be characterised within a particular ethnic group. It's no more
than a phenomenon that we are all familiar with and can recognise -
consciously or unconsciously and whether we like it or not. And if
Bonnie, or any one of us, finds that our musical tastes lie mainly in that
one area, who can call it racism?

There is a wealth of difference between the cultural expression of those
who migrated east to the UK and those who went to the USA. Brit.
zellers will confirm that Afro-Caribbeans (we are too tight..errrm..-
lipped;) to have got around to saying African-British here) blues singers
are even rarer here than Hispanic quarter-backs are in the States.
Nevertheless, there is still such a thing as the *black* music scene - even
though it's evolved differently from its US counterpart through picking up
on different national and cultural influences. In fact, a similar thing
happened here among our Asian community - which will be bigger in the
UK than anywhere else, for obvious historical reasons - where a unique
cross-cultural music with equal measures of  eastern/western influences
has evolved. Is that a racial thing too? Who knows? Who cares?.... it's just
something that *is*.

JD