Youguns and such

bonnie kalmbach bjkalmba@facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri May 14 18:38:14 EDT 1999

At 11:42 PM 5/14/99 +0200, you wrote:
>1. Keep in mind that I don't want to downplay the role of the many great
>black Blues & Soul artists. This is not in question here. And I am a big fan
>of some of them.
>
>But I don't think that  it is right to generally dismiss/ignore many great
>white artists because of many mediocre (or less) ones.

Frankly, I don't think there are any - or many, great ones that is.

>2. I think that's wrong. The most famous Southern Soul bands (Booker T. &
>MGs, Muscle Shoals Rhythm & Horns) were and still are a racially integrated
>bunch of highly talented people. Ask Wilson Pickett. Right, there are not
>many (good) white singers, but the backing bands are responsible for the
>funky nuances, too.

I disagree. The white guys, Cropper and Dunn, hung out in black clubs
and absorbed their style. Dan Pen grew up listening to black radio,
especially to Bobby Bland.

>The key is that they influenced each other.

Some, there is a lot of C&W influence in modern soul blues , but the
influence was more one way - white guys you mention were more influenced
by black music than the other way around.

>And of course there are a lot of current white blues musicians that have
>tons of talent, too:
>Duke Robillard, Michelle Willson, Delbert McClinton, Eddie Hinton, Ronnie
>Earl, Charlie Musselwhite, John Hammond, Lloyd Jones, Kim Wilson, Rusty
>Zinn, William Clarke, James Harman, Anson Funderburgh & Sam Meyers (when
>they joined forces, Anson was still pretty young - did he deserve to play
>with Sam? I am soo glad that Sam didn't mind playing with a white boy),
>etc.

Anson is very soulful. A friend who first heard him said, "I thought
he was black(he meant of course African-American). My friend also likes
white blues players but acknowledges a difference in how many of them sound).
The rest of bunch you mentioned above don't do a lot for me and probably
don't get played on WDIA or other African-American stations either).

bonnie