Firm . . but not rigid . . .

Rick Edwards voodoochile@WEBTV.NET
Thu Oct 15 23:04:50 EDT 1998

I certainly hope that with the new court rulings that the days of blues
borrowing are over in this country. It was accepted (and even supported
and encouraged) by past US labels. I agree with Mr. Waterman that there
should be some time limit to the rights though. The song shouldn`t just
die. Even better, the labels and artists could make PRIOR arrangements
to re-do a song or part of a song and pay the creator their due, so we
could all hear another great interpretation of a song by an artist who
admires the song. I don`t know what to do about the borrowing of songs
by artists in other countries. Maybe get after the folks who play them
or distribute them in the US. I don`t like what Zep did, even if it did
bring attention to the blues. I don`t think they were new at it. And I
think the label was in on it. And if they hadn`t become mega-stars, they
would have just been another blues band (among many many blues bands)
who borrowed blues lyrics and licks.

Rick, voodoochile, bamabluesdog

VOODOOCHILE`S BLUES ROADHOUSE

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/4737/

"Call it whatever you want. I call it the blues" Luther Allison.

Jimmie Vaughan commenting on SRV`s Carnegie Hall concert--"Stevie told
me he was gonna play the music of his heroes, the guys who never got to
play Carnegie Hall. He didn`t announce it to the audience, he didn`t say
anything to the people at the label. It was just something between the
two of us.That`s why you`ve got those tunes by Guitar Slim, Albert
Collins and Albert King. And it`s in Stevie`s playing that night too.
Those guys and BB King and Otis Rush and Buddy Guy, they`re all in
there."

In the CD player now: Storyville; Bluest Eyes, A Piece of Your Soul, and
Dog Years,