NBC: On The Streets of Blues-L (was: Re: Lengthy appeal to be allowed on the li

Dave Therault BluesGeek@aol.com
Mon Jun 29 12:38:03 EDT 1998

In a message dated 6/29/98 8:50:06 AM, John Ellis, jcellis@shreve.net wrote:

>Less often - but IMO once is too often - I've encountered pious lectures on
>
>what *is & isn't the blues*, what *is & isn't good blues*, etc, ad nauseum.
>
>Whether it's right or wrong - my perception is that for some members of this
>
>list - MY only role here is (1) to provide fodder for their dissertations,
>
>(2) reverently agree with those dissertations, and (3) be chastised like a
>
>recalcitrant child when I publicly disagree with them.  That is my
>
>perception & may not be correct - but it's interesting that when I express
>
>it - the response is to be told that my perceptions as well as my opinions
>
>are wrong.  Call me sensitive - but this does not nourish a feeling of
>
>mutual respect & shared passion in me.
>

>It can be argued that *mutual respect & shared passion* may not be
>
>everyone's goal in participating on this list.  Fair enough - but it's
>
>hypocritical to demand respect that you aren't willing to give.  That
>
>statement is not directed at anyone in particular.  I'll leave it up to
>
>anyone who hasn't already deleted this message to decide whether or not it
>
>fits them.
>

>I find myself taking sides on this issue with individuals whose opinions I
>
>often don't agree with - opposed to individuals whose opinions I tend to
>
>share.  I won't argue with anyone's definition of *the blues* or *good
>
>blues* - no matter how much I disagree with it.  In return - I expect the
>
>same.  And from time to time will probably continue to complain about not
>
>getting it.

It has been suggested to me that gunslinging is a virtue on blues-l.

Well draw down, then, if that's what you're here for. We wouldn't want to
accuse you of being "nice."

It appears that John, here, would like to think that at least ~one~ of the
legacies of the blues (nevermind humanity) is genuine gentleness and respect.
As you say, for the most part, that's what you'll find. But, some rowdies in
our peaceful town mistake the mythical remnant of bravado, oft revered in
song, as something to be practiced among friends, as some sort of cowboy test
of manhood. When that happens, peace-loving folk have to just stay off the
streets.

Holster them pistols, boys. You'll live longer.

-Dave Therault