You should ahve been there -Central Coast Blues Festival

alblu alblu@IX.NETCOM.COM
Sun Jun 28 13:29:59 EDT 1998

Hey Everybody,

Well it's been a couple days since the Central Coast Blues Festival ended.
It
took me this long to get my feet back on the ground and my head out of the
clouds.  Three days and Three nights of BLUES!!!  The Festival was GREAT!!
Tom Ball & Kenny Sultan were wonderful hosts and their performances were
great!
Now I'm gonna toot my own horn.   For me the Festival was a dream
come true.  I just received this press release -All I can say is WOW!

LOCAL BLUES SINGER
WOWS CENTRAL COAST FESTIVAL

Looking over the smiling, foot-stomping, whistling crowds gathered at the
Live
Oak Campground this last weekend, you would never have suspected that these
folks were here to listen to the sorry, lowdown blues.  They were just
having
too much fun to be blue.
For the last several years, Richard Burleigh's Fire on the Mountain
Productions
has been bringing us the best of the blues, and this year's Central Coast
Blues
Festival was no exception due to a stellar lineup of performers which
included:
Son Seals; Paul DeLay; Roy Roger's Delta Rhythm Kings; Deanna Bogart; the
Boneshakers; and Chubby Carrier.  But the surprise hit of the show was the
Central Coast's own Valerie Johnson and The Blues Doctors, who brought the
house
down Saturday morning with a movin' and shakin' hour of music, capped by a
gut-wrenching rendition of Big Mama Thornton's "Ball and Chain", which
brought
the crowd to its feet in a spontaneous standing ovation.
Although the festival-goers partied hard on Saturday night, they were
redeemed
at Sunday morning's gospel session which was hosted by the talented duo of
Tom
Ball and Kenny Sultan.  Valerie Johnson mesmerized listeners with her
beautiful
and powerful spirituals and the stage area soon resembled a tent revival
when
she joined Rounder Record gospel artists, The Holmes Brothers, in a
performance
which moved the audience profoundly.
Blues fans will be eagerly awaiting next year's festival. Meanwhile, we'll
all
be charting the course of our latest rising star, Valerie Johnson.

Valerie Johnson (Valerie Johnson & the Blues Doctors)
"We Wanna Blues You Up!"
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/6307/