Is the Blues Being "Loved" to Death

Fred Dabney fdabney@NMSU.EDU
Tue Jun 23 11:45:49 EDT 1998

>Over here in England we have a problem with a type of fan called (lovingly,
>mostly) the Anoraks. We also call them "Trainspotters". They manage to do a
>couple of things and their attitude creeps into the promoters too.

Some first rate commentary.  The thing which we all tend to forget is that
we all bring as much baggage to a performance as the performer.  That, of
itself can have a lot to do with whether or not we accept or reject a given
performance or style.

I personally prefer the sound of the unamplifed guitar.  Hence, the more
electric it sounds, the harder time I have getting around the sound to hear
the music.  There was once a time when I could own nearly every record made
of a classical guitar and made a conscious effort to do so.  NOw I can't
even keep track of the new ones in the last month or so.  It's no one's loss
but mine, but on the other hand, there are enough acoustic guitarists on
record now that I'd not live long enough to hear them all anyway.

So, I can sit here and "reject" this or that player on grounds of personal
taste without decrying the "rejectees" as being "Un-Blues" or whatever.  But
the human tendency is always to to equate "don't like" with "no good".
Which gets us back to our personal baggage...  As long as I don't mistake an
artist's not playing in a style I fancy, or with a sound with which I'm
comfortable for being good or bad, It's my problem.  It shouldn't be anyone
else's...

Hear something obscure from the world of early blues and jazz at 9 pm Friday
and Saturday night with host Fred Dabney from the Back Room of KRWG-FM, 90.7
FM, Las Cruces, NM
<fdabney@nmsu.edu>