teo, also jimmy cobb (MC) (fwd)

Fred Dabney fdabney@NMSU.EDU
Fri Jun 19 15:28:47 EDT 1998

>>improbable gig 30 yrs ago this year: fillmore east; 230-730
>>AM; pharoah sanders, b.b. king, t-bone walker, howard johnson
>>on plunger mute tuba, among others. recorded and announced
>>as a major forthcoming album. blues. wonder if tapes exist.

Plunger mute TUBA?????  If anyone could do it, I guess Howard would be the
man.  I always wondered why Duke Ellington didn't have a tuba in later
years, not as a rhythm section instrument but as one more tone color.

Hear something obscure from the world of early blues and jazz at 9 pm Friday
and Saturday night with host Fred Dabney from the Back Room of KRWG-FM, 90.7
FM, Las Cruces, NM
<fdabney@nmsu.edu>