[Blues today]

Barry B. Bean bbbean@BEANCOTTON.COM
Thu Jun 18 14:20:24 EDT 1998

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:11:30 -0500 (CDT), Blake J. Wintory wrote:

>Evolution can mean to just change, but it is also associated with actual
>biological/genetic changes in response to an environment to become more
>efficient in it.  Music and the culture that produces it are not
>biologically adaptive.  Historical, social, economic and gender
>circumstances offer a much better analysis of culture and music than some
>misguided idea that the music is somehow developing to become more
>efficient/adaptive to a static notion of environment.

I assure you the word was in use before Darwin appropriately picked
it to describe the evolution of species.

>From Websters:

Main Entry: evolve
Pronunciation: i-'v„lv, -'volv, E- also -'v„v or -'vov
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): evolved; evolvúing
Etymology: Latin evolvere to unroll, from e- + volvere to roll --
more at VOLUBLE
Date: 1641
transitive senses
1 : EMIT
2 a : DERIVE, EDUCE b : to produce by natural evolutionary processes
c : DEVELOP, WORK OUT <evolve social, political, and literary
philosophies -- L. W. Doob>
intransitive senses : to undergo evolutionary change

I'll continute to maintain that music evolves.

BBB

-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel                              bbbean@beancotton.com
Peach Orchard, MO                                       http://www.beancotton.com/bbbean.shtml