African Blues: (Was) Blues and race

chuck nevitt ribtips@HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 16 09:50:59 EDT 1998

Fetzer wrote:
<<In a post Mike Curtis said "Today most blues artists are white"  What
planet are you living on, Mike?  Are most Africans on your planet
white,too?//Fetzer>>

If it's an African thing shouldn't there be a tremendous amount of REAL
BLUES in AFRICA? I would also ask that if was an AFRICAN thing why don't
more countries that used AFRICAN slaves (we by no means were the only
ones) not also have BLUES music? Could it be that they too were
influenced by the music of the region? Would you say Calypso or Reggae
was blues? I am not being contrary-- just curious (so please don't come
out breathing fire).

I have for some reason never pondered this before now-- anyone that can
shed some light on this in a civil discussion I personally would be
interested to hear some educated guesses (or facts) as to why there IS
not more blues influenced music in AFRICA--and other countries that used
AFRICAN slave labor (...not all slaves WERE/ARE African).

Fetzer also asked about white Africans in Mikes world (which I guess
would include the whole planet)--I guess there are plenty of white
Aficans in Africa--if you use the same guidelines to call yourself an
American--which unless you are an AMERICAN INDIAN you are no more a
American than Christian Barnard was African.

food for thought?
chuck n.
(excuse me if you folks covered this a year ago--I wasn't on line
then...)