Ref:original post

Leonard Watkins ISTS024@UABDPO.DPO.UAB.EDU
Fri Jun 12 13:35:55 EDT 1998

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:25:08 -0700 Dave & Alita Melton said:

>> nothing

>> > I have to ask: Are you a musician. Also defining poor musician
>> would be helpful
>> > in understanding your post. I do think John Hammond and scores of
 >
>> The reason Leonard asks you this is because he is a "musician" and he
>> thinks you're not. He thinks you're not because you criticized
>> another musician. Even semi-pros with regular day jobs are into the

I'd brush up on that mind reading, you are way wrong on this one.

He did not say he did not like Hammonds music, he said Hammond was a poor
Musician. There is a big difference. That is why I asked him to define what he
meant by 'poor musician'. I think anyone can be criticized. Anyone who gets
paid for getting on a stage and performing is fair game for criticizing.
I just don't think you can judge the musicianship of someone unless you know
something about the musicianship to begin with. You can say you don't like his
music, but unless you got a clue about the skills then how in the world can
you judge them. I have no problem with someone saying they don't like anothers
music, but when you judge their skills you should have some knowledge of those
skills. I have no idea what he meant by poor musician, did he mean sloppy did
he mean not polished, did he mean not melodic. I suspect he can speak for
himself, but you apparently think you know people better than they know
themselves. I suggest you worry about your opwn backyard before you try
raking mine.

Leonard