Bob Wills/country vs blues

Eliot Williams williams@medicine.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 12 13:04:04 EDT 1998

As Barry points out the country-blues cross-fertilization process to
which Tom refers was not a one-directional process, in which white
musicians simply copied black musicians.   Many black musicians of
the 30s, 40s and 50s openly acknowledged a debt to country music.
For example, Bobby Bland is interviewed in this month's Rolling Stone
and says that he grew up listening to country music (Ernest Tubb,
Hank Williams, etc) and that this probably had a greater influence on
his singing style than blues or r&b.

This notwithstanding,  I think I can hear more blues influences
in country music than the other way around.

Eliot Williams
University of Wisconsin
Department of Medicine
williams@medicine.wisc.edu