Sonny Boy Williamson's Age

William Donoghue RBKL52A@prodigy.com
Mon Jun 8 20:05:00 EDT 1998

I had an opportunity to do a brief interview with Robert Jr. Lockwood and
share with him some early photos of Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller)
from the later 30s and early 40s. I also showed him the 1920 census which
showed Rice Miller to be 7 years old at the time. He appeared to agree
with me that Sonny Boy was only a few years older (he was born in 1915
and Miller in 1912) than he. He was surprised, but appeared to concede it
was indeed possible especially when he saw how much older Sonny Boy
looked heavy in 1937  and how much younger he looked in 1939 and 1941
when he lost weight for some reason.
    Frankly, I feel better about his reported disbelief of the "hard"
facts. I also showed Mike Frank, Honeyboy's manager, the same documents
and he agreed that they do conflict with Honeyboy's comment that "I met
him in 1929, he was 28 and I was 14" -- Honeyboy he was 17 and looked 28
and you may have been 14 .
  Anyone have any information to add?

-
  WILLIAM DONOGHUE  'fessor Mojo Guru@donoghue.com
  Author of Don't Start Me To Talkin' (preview bio of Sonny Boy
Williamson II) 1-800-982-2455