John Hammond

maxdog maxdog@UNR.NET
Sat Jun 6 16:56:27 EDT 1998

Sally Stevens wrote:

>         Depending upon circumstances....I think Hammond can be still be a stutterer
> on occassion....which may be why it can sometimes be hard to talk to him....he
> is not always a particularly gregarious guy when not on stage....which is
> fine...nobody should have to be...but it seems that maybe he did not overcome
> the stuttering....which might account for a certain reticence....
>         I remember talking to him on several occassions back in the 80's.......on one
> occassion he stuttered up a storm....and not one iota of a stutter during the
> course of subsequent conversations.

    When I met him in the mid-eighties he did not stutter a bit and was very friendly
considering that he was eating and I was half drunk. I would not have bothered him except
for being urged on by friends. When I told him that I had been a fan for so long that I
used to have his music on 8-track he replied "You didn't have to make me feel old!". I
saw him again (?th time?) in January of this year, he still looks the same age as the
first time I saw him (late 70's ???). John and Dick Clark must have some aging painting
in their attics at home. He has sounded great every time I've seen him play.

maxdog
Tallahassee