Faded Blues -- Chicago Tribune

Rory McQuillan rmcqu01@ibm.net
Tue Dec 29 20:15:01 EST 1998

Tom Freeland wrote in message ...

Did we read the same story?  The heart of the story is a passage that
quotes Honeyboy Edwards expressing his (presumably well-informed)
opinion on this subject.  I'll quote it:

>>"You got plenty folks can raise hell with a big, wide sound on
>>electric guitar, but they ain't doin' any playin," says David
>>"Honeyboy" Edwards, a brilliant singer-guitarist, who, at 83, stands
>>among the last surviving Delta bluesmen. He lives on the South Side,
>>as he has since 1954, spending most of his days in the tiny bedroom of
>>a small basement apartment he shares with a few relatives and friends.

>>"It's too loud. I don't know why they have to do that," he adds, in
>>an impromptu dissertation on the blues. "Remember, blues don't
>>supposed to do that. Don't you know the lower it is, the better it
>>sounds?" Edwards, of course, is right. Virtually every genuine blues
>>recording from Patton's first in the late '20s to Robert Johnson's in
>>the '30s to Muddy Waters' classics of the '50s and '60s stresses
>>intensity of expression over mere amplification and arbitrary
>>raucousness. Even at his most rambunctious, Waters played his
>>electric blues in a soaring, poetic way that unmistakably evoked the
>>sounds of the Mississippi Delta, where he was born.

Sorry, Tom but I saw Muddy Waters live twice.  I am certain that it was some
of the LOUDEST music I ever heard, with the exception of the Mahavishnu
Orchestra.  Soaring & poetic, true enough, but also VERY LOUD.