another tid-bit from tower e-zine

Ray Mikell mojo@kopower.com
Wed Mar 12 01:30:15 EST 1997

"George E. Morales" <gmorales@voicenet.com> writes:
hi, i saw this interesting little blurb in e-pulse.
     The title 'ROAD STORIES AND RECIPES' (Schirmer/226 pages/$25) by
Memphis mainstay Don Nix gets the award for truth in advertising, along with
bonus
points for getting right to the point. The first two-thirds of the book is a
string of road and studio anecdotes. In the late '50s and early '60s, Nix
was a member of the Mar-Keys, who, besides leaving their mark with a string
of r&b-fueled instrumentals, also launched the careers of Steve Cropper and
Duck Dunn. (A nice bit of info contained in the first chapter is that the
band was to be called the Marquis, but they knew nobody would pronounce it
correctly, so they opted for phonetics.) Nix went on to carve a series of
lightly etched notches as a producer, songwriter and later, as a solo artist
on Leon Russell's Shelter label.

Nix also cut albums for Stax's Enterprise, as well as Elektra and Cream not
long after recording for Shelter. All the albums are hard to find, and very
good for the most part. Furry Lewis appears on something like three, I
think. Lewis' rendition of "When I Lay My Burden Down" on "Heroes, Hobos and
Street Corner Clowns" with Don and the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section is a
particular treat, if you can get your hands on it.
   Ray

``Like most of the people here, I was born.''
  -- Bob Dole