Monster Mike: I don't get it.

Riffin Rick MILLER@SCI.WFBR.EDU
Tue Mar 11 14:46:06 EST 1997

I'm kinda thinking out loud here, but what is it with Monster Mike Welch?
I don't really wanna "dis" the young fella, specially since he's a local
boy here in Massachusetts and I never know when I'm gonna find myself and
Gate Street Blues sharing a stage with him........and I'm sure he's a nice
guy and all...

......but I heard Mike live on local station WZLX "Bluesday Tuesday", in the
studio with the morning guys, and well, what's the hype about?  He seems to
be a good, but not outstanding guitar player, with fairly average voice.
But all in all, I hear better performers on blues club stages around New
England all the time.  Guys who struggle to do this well even part time.
But Monster Mike is essentially a "national" act on <whatever> record label
and seems to have a media machine behind him, again with his second CD
coming out sometime soon.  How does that happen?  Is it a ton of money spent
on PR, a good press agent, a winning smile? What?  Rumor has it that his
dad is pretty well set and keeps the PR machine very well oiled.  I don't
know that, but I've heard it more than once.

I don't think it's the often-discussed "riding the young-gunslinger" train
that's getting him all this attention.  If he was really a prodigy, I'd
understand that.  But he's pretty average, IMO.

My band pushes as many PR buttons as often and as much as we can.  You have to
to get anywhere.  ( I mean, besides being a good show).  So I don't begrudge
the lad any success.  I just can't figure it out.  It's gotta be money.

Riffin Rick

p.s.  Mike! Whatever it is you got going there, would you send me some?? ;-)

F.J.(Rick)Miller
Senior Research Assistant,
& Marine Facilities Manager
Worcester Foundation for Biomedical Research
"Miller@Sci.WFBR.Edu"