Blues Music/Adultery

Billy Chambless billy@CAST.MSSTATE.EDU
Thu Jul 31 11:33:47 EDT 1997

"Gregory A. Conn" <gconn@SPRINTMAIL.COM> wrote:

] Has anyone else out here ever given any thought to the possibility
] that some blues songs tend to glamorize adultery and cheating with
] someone elses spouse?  Ie: "Come on in...my husband just now left,
] yeah he just now left." Or, "I am a backdoor man, the men don't know
] but the little girls understand."  Etc., you get the idea.

I've certainly given this some thought, esp. wrt to songs I used to
do back when I was twenty-something; not just the issue of adultery, but
sometimes a general attitude about women, etc. etc. There are some
songs I probably won't be dusting off as I get back into playing;
that's just a result of me being a different person farther down the
road.

Having said this, let me also say that this is a very personal thing;
others have said that it doesn't bother them at all.

]  During many years of being a bachelor I didn't give a whole lot of
] thought to this.  Now that I have a fiance' whom I love dearly I find
] that some of these lyrics leave a bad taste in my mouth.
]  Any thoughts on this?

Definitely some thought on the second part. I would certainly try to avoid
doing a song that was gonna upset or offend my sweety. But I'm very lucky in that
my sweety isn't easily upset  or offended. ;) And...she's got sense  enough to
know when a songs just a song, and when I'm singing from where I'm at.