Otis Rush/Earl Hooker

VT vt@PIPELINE.COM
Tue Jul 29 18:28:34 EDT 1997

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 16:02:13 -0500, in bit.listserv.blues-l, Richard
Shurman <rshurman@ccs.nsls.lib.il.us> wrote:

>Yes, Otis does a fabulous Earl Hooker with his fingers; it's a major part
>of his playing.  Besides the great version of "I Wonder Why" on RIGHT
>PLACE, WRONG TIME, Otis really likes the live version on TOPS.

Yes, yes, yes - Otis does this almost at every show I've seen - I
can't recall him ever announcing the title.

But it is instantly recognizable, always swings, and he has made it
his own.  I personally think it's the definitive version :-)

Michael Hill's Blues Mob play a version that they announce as Blue
Guitar, but they say they learnt it from Otis.......

--

Vincent
vt@pipeline.com