Sitting In

D.J. Brunel Cellarpub@aol.com
Tue Jul 29 15:46:19 EDT 1997

(I meant to send this to the entire Blues List, but screwed things up. So
here goes.)

In a message dated 97-07-29 14:45:45 EDT,  Ed Vadis wrote:

<<
 I would say it is 90% of the players who are "ASKED" to sit in.  Actually do
 the asking themselves.   Most folks who sit in are inadequate jerk-offs that
 know not the land they trod.   What appears to the audience as non-support
 from the band  is often a shriveling ego caught sitting in on a wave they
 can't maintain so they (A) turn down (B Sing away from the mich. .. (C) lose
 control of the band or(D) just wank through it.   Any self-respecting band
 tries to do what they can to make a guest sitting in a positive experience
 for the crowd, but mostly have to do damage control for time the pest, guest
 is there.   It is a real and RARE treat when some one sits in and the music
 is elevated from where it was on a reality based musical ground rather than
 fan based thrill ground.

This is a pretty accurate statement, Ed.  I own a small Blues and Jazz Club
in Macon, GA.  Not infrequently some clown will wander in (usually
unannounced) and expect to play one or more sets with an established band.  I
tell the musicians, should they wish, to ask the visitor "what ONE number" he
would like to do, make him look as good as possible for his claque, then
hustle him off stage.  This works pretty well.  Of course, when a real player
comes along, the bands have no trouble accommodating.  Pros do not wear out
their welcome.  Our music has gotten so good of late that most visitors
showing up with instruments never bother to unpack them.

Don Brunel

Please check out our web page and meet Bubba the Blues dog. <A HREF="http://me
mbers.aol.com/cellarpub/index.html">http://members.aol.com/cellarpub/index.htm
l</A>