The Crossroads Legend

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@GATE.NET
Tue Jul 29 13:03:20 EDT 1997

At 11:43 7/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Cary Wolfson very appropriately corrected me that it was Mack McCormick,
>not McCarthy, who did the primary research on Robert Johnson. That's what I
>get for posting from work where I don't have my books at hand.
>
>McCormick is owed a debt by anyone interested in the Johnson story for his
>research into the actual facts of who he was and what his life was about.
>Rumors of his book on Johnson have been around since the 60's, and are
>repeated by Guralnick. In it he is supposed to assemble all the known facts
>and the story of his journeys through the South tracking leads down.
>
>Does anyone know why Mr. McCormick doesn't publish his research? A
>psychological block? Fear of being tied up in a lawsuit from Steve LaVere
>for all eternity?

I know one reason.  McCormick says that he has met Johnson's murderer.  He
accidentally obtained a confession from the man who thought McCormick was a
policeman.  The guy came clean with the whole story.  Mack says that he
won't reveal his identity while the man is still alive.  So perhaps he's
waiting until he can tell the WHOLE story.

P.W. Fenton
Tampa, Florida
http://www.gate.net/~pwfenton