Harvey Fuqua

Ian Angus ianangus@ISTAR.CA
Mon Jul 28 09:31:31 EDT 1997

I meant to ask this question for a long time, but always seemed to forget,
until
>in yesterday's dates by eRIC, I saw:
>
>FUQUA, HARVEY(prod/co-lead/THE MOONGLOWS) b. 1929-0727, LOUISVILLE,      KY
>
>I am not much into doo-wop, but I was always impressed by his voice
>on the duet with Etta James on "If I can't have you" that I have on
>"The Essential Etta James". The only thing I know of him is that he
>was Etta James first love (according to the liner notes). Who can
>tell me something more on him, and what are the recommended recordings
>to enjoy that great voice?

Harvey was a member of The Moonglows, one of the
best Chicago doo wop groups. Almost any anthology
of Moonglows material is worth getting, but the
new one released as part of the Chess 50th anniversary
series of CDs is readily available and quite good.

He did, I think, four recorded duets with Etta James,
but it doesn't seem possible to find them all on one
CD. I particularly like their version of Spoonful.

After he stopped recording, he did A&R work and production
work for Chess in the 60s.

Ian Angus
"Let the Good Times Roll"
CKLN 88.1-FM Toronto -- Wednesdays, 8pm-10pm
http://www.letthegoodtimesroll.com