delta dog-l, momentarily

Ray Mikell mojo@kopower.com
Sat Jul 19 01:54:21 EDT 1997

>One thing I have sadly noted in the Delta, even in towns,
>is the bodies of run-over dogs lying in the streets.
>I suspect there are no leash-laws.
>
>Bonnie

I've got a hilarious series of stories from the Delta Democrat Times of
Greenville, Miss. that I wrote a few years ago if you want them concerning
leash laws. Had a humane society director there who would be laughing
hysterically one moment, then abruptly start crying about the animals and
how they can't speak, etc. Really. There was a pattern to it. After the
crying was over, she'd start laughing again. Caring woman, but went on a pet
gestapo tear from time to time. One case involved someone having their
freshly groomed poodles ticketed in their garage. People were haaaacked,
'specially after even the city attorney's dog was cited for running around
in his yard (the atty had gone inside momentarily, he said)! Forget all your
major national controversies. Nothing hacks off folks more than messin' with
their mutts.
   Not that people don't care about safety -- got a great story about a man
in a trailer park who got himself stuck in a tree after trying to get a cat
out that had been up there for two days. Chased up by a dog. Anyway, fire
strucks showed up (hadn't earlier for liability reasons), as did the mayor,
police, etc. Had a press conference afterward. Got a pic of the cat leaning
into ABC and CBS affiliate microphones, as if he's going to make a statement.
  By the way, there is no alligator leash law, but motorists ALWAYS stop for
them. I remember one backing up traffic on U.S. 49 somewhere near Indianola.
  Roosters and chickens are a different story too. They get out of the way.
Just saw a flock the other day I had a great experience with them -- not in
the Delta, but in Miss. I'm blaring down a seriously curvy, very rural road,
then come to a screeching halt. Notice some of them birds are right in front
of me. They are not, however, at all fazed. Instead, the lead rootster turns
to the other chicken and waves his beak. Then they turn around and walk the
other way, as I get ready to drive off. They were mighty polite, let me tell
you.
  Ray

"For God's sake let's have a little more freakish behavior -- not less."
  -- Tennessee Williams, 1945