blues, rock

Ray Mikell mojo@kopower.com
Fri Jul 18 00:44:49 EDT 1997

If you're going to say that some blues guy is playing rock, from here on out
I think those are extremely into categorization have an obligation to say
which one. And these, according to the All-Music Guide, which I love for the
most part, are the categories. Try it, I dare you. Yikes! Is this ever is
obsessive-compulsive. 'course there's still plain old blues-rock and even
rock 'n' roll here, but of course there's also R&B and soul, though Etta
James and Delbert McClinton, among so many others, are for some reason put
into the blues section of the AMG only. Stevie Ray's in the blues-rock
section, but Buddy Guy and Luther Allison aren't. Na-na-na. 'course I
thought "Heartland Rock" was on here, but I was wrong. "Corporate rock" and
"classic rock" aren't either, nor is a new category invented by Dave Barry,
"Weenie Rock." Boy, I'm too tired after reading this to even think about
rockin'. Hee-hee.
  Have fun:

Acid House
Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
Alternative Country-Rock
Alternative Metal
Ambient Techno
Art-Rock/Progressive-Rock
Brill Building pop
British Invasion
Club/Dance
Dance
Dark Ambient
Detroit Techno
Drum 'n Bass
Electro-Techno
Folk-Pop
Funk
Garage Rock
Girl-Group
Goth-Rock
Hair Metal
Hardcore Punk
Heavy Metal
Hot Rod
Indie Rock
Industrial Metal
Jangle-pop
Kraut-Rock
Mod-revival
Neo-Psychedelia
New Romantic
No Wave
Philly Soul
Post-Grunge
Post-Rock/Experimental
Proto-Punk
Pub rock
Punk revival
Quiet Storm
Rap-Metal
Riot Grrrl
Roots-Rock
Singer-Songwriter
Soft Rock
Southern Rock
Speed Metal
Surf Rock Revival
Techno
Tex-Mex
Thrash
Tribal-House
Urban

Acid Jazz
Adult Contemporary
Alternative Dance
Alternative Pop/Rock
Arena Rock
Blue-Eyed Soul
Boogie rock
Brit-Pop
Bubblegum
Country-Rock
Dance-Pop
Death Metal
Disco
Dream-pop
Electro-Funk
Europop
Folk-Rock
Funk Metal
Garage Techno
Glam Rock
Grunge
Hard Rock
Hardcore Techno
Hi-Nrg
House
Industrial
Instrumental Rock
Jungle
Lo-Fi
Motown
New Jack R&B
New Wave
Paisley Underground
Pop/Rock
Post-Punk
Power Pop
Psychedelic
Punk
Punk-Pop
R&B
Rave
Rock & Roll
Rockabilly Revival
Shoegazing
Ska-Revival
Soul
Space Rock
Surf
Synth-pop
Teen Idol
Third wave ska-revival
Trance
Trip-Hop

Ray

"For God's sake let's have a little more freakish behavior -- not less."
  -- Tennessee Williams, 1945