NBC: disappearing public radio?

Scott McCraw scott@BARNARD.CSSC.OLEMISS.EDU
Mon Jul 14 10:01:55 EDT 1997

Bonnie,

What an terrifying time we are in the midst of, and with a Democratic White
House.  Fortunately WUMS is a college/commercial station that manages to
keep itself afloat nicely.

In that same vein there are two NYC artists, Paul Lamarre and Melissa Wolf,
in the midst of the making of a documentary film entitled, _The NEA Tapes_
which will address the curtailing of arts funding in a very focused way.
They have over 200 interviews with people involved in the arts community and
in government and have the means to create a meaningful dialogue on the
subject.  The film will be a useful in terms of illustrating the necessity
of a healthy arts community for a healthy nation.

"The battle intensifies between people who would have us silent and virtuout
and correct in the way that they see it.  We may end up learning lessons
from some of the former communist countries in Eastern Europe." -Andrei
Codrescu, Writer, New Orleans

Scott

>Since many blues programs are on public and community radio stations,
>I thought this might be of interest to some.
>
>Bonnie
>
>>Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 20:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Norman Solomon <mediabeat@igc.apc.org>
>>To: [list]
>>Subject: Buyout threat to public broadcasting
>>
>>BUYOUT THREAT LOOMS FOR PUBLIC BROADCASTING
>>
>>By Norman Solomon
>>

>>     It could happen to you.
>>
>>     This month, thousands of people tuned into their favorite
>>public radio station -- and heard that it's about to disappear.
>>
>>     The terse announcement aired on WDCU Radio, the only full-
>>time jazz station in the city of Washington. Just three public
>>radio outlets in the country have a larger black audience. But
>>WDCU's owner, the University of the District of Columbia, is
>>dumping it for $13 million.
>>
>>     While the college trustees balance their budget, Salem
>>Communications is celebrating its triumph. The firm already has a
>>chain of 42 religious stations -- and operates a syndicate that
>>provides several hundred affiliates with radio fare such as
>>Oliver North's talk show.
>>
>>     With their industry bloated by mergers and buyouts,
>>commercial broadcasters are now drooling over frequencies long
>>reserved as "noncommercial." And they've got plenty of cash to
>>raid the larder.
>>
>>     As the public-broadcasting newspaper Current reported, the
>>sale of WDCU "raises concerns that religious broadcasters will
>>approach university licensees ... with offers more tempting than
>>they've seen before." Those colleges "are often cash-strapped and
>>ambivalent about being in the public radio business."
>>
>>     Now a protective wall has shattered. Tom Thomas, a
>>consultant for public radio's Station Resource Group, sounded
>>grim when I asked about the WDCU purchase. He called it "the
>>opening of a pathway between the commercial broadcasting sector
>>and the noncommercial band."
>>
>>     Public TV stations aren't safe either.
>>
>>     A battle is raging in Pittsburgh over the proposed sale of a
>>PBS channel to Cornerstone TeleVision -- which blends Christian
>>fundamentalism with very conservative political messages. On July
>>7, a Pittsburgh community alliance filed a petition with the
>>Federal Communications Commission to block the deal.
>>
>>     How can evangelical broadcasters and for-profit firms get
>>away with grabbing frequencies that have been reserved for public
>>broadcasting? The schemes vary.
>>
>>     In Washington, where Salem Communications already owns a
>>major commercial station, Salem's nonprofit arm is buying WDCU
>>Radio. (The nation's airwaves are saturated with religious
>>broadcasters, who now claim 1,648 radio stations -- a third of
>>them noncommercial.)
>>
>>     In Pittsburgh, officials at a pair of public TV stations
>>plan to swap one of their channels for a commercial frequency now
>>held by Cornerstone TeleVision. That frequency would then be sold
> [...]
Scott McCraw
Center for the Study of Southern Culture
University of Mississippi
University, MS 38677

Phone: 601-232-5993  Fax: 601-232-5814   E-mail: scott@barnard.cssc.olemiss.edu