NBC: disappearing public radio?

Bonnie Kalmbach KALMBACH@MACC.WISC.EDU
Thu Jul 10 20:02:00 EDT 1997

Since many blues programs are on public and community radio stations,
I thought this might be of interest to some.

Bonnie

>Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 20:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Norman Solomon <mediabeat@igc.apc.org>
>To: [list]
>Subject: Buyout threat to public broadcasting
>
>BUYOUT THREAT LOOMS FOR PUBLIC BROADCASTING
>
>By Norman Solomon
>

>     It could happen to you.
>
>     This month, thousands of people tuned into their favorite
>public radio station -- and heard that it's about to disappear.
>
>     The terse announcement aired on WDCU Radio, the only full-
>time jazz station in the city of Washington. Just three public
>radio outlets in the country have a larger black audience. But
>WDCU's owner, the University of the District of Columbia, is
>dumping it for $13 million.
>
>     While the college trustees balance their budget, Salem
>Communications is celebrating its triumph. The firm already has a
>chain of 42 religious stations -- and operates a syndicate that
>provides several hundred affiliates with radio fare such as
>Oliver North's talk show.
>
>     With their industry bloated by mergers and buyouts,
>commercial broadcasters are now drooling over frequencies long
>reserved as "noncommercial." And they've got plenty of cash to
>raid the larder.
>
>     As the public-broadcasting newspaper Current reported, the
>sale of WDCU "raises concerns that religious broadcasters will
>approach university licensees ... with offers more tempting than
>they've seen before." Those colleges "are often cash-strapped and
>ambivalent about being in the public radio business."
>
>     Now a protective wall has shattered. Tom Thomas, a
>consultant for public radio's Station Resource Group, sounded
>grim when I asked about the WDCU purchase. He called it "the
>opening of a pathway between the commercial broadcasting sector
>and the noncommercial band."
>
>     Public TV stations aren't safe either.
>
>     A battle is raging in Pittsburgh over the proposed sale of a
>PBS channel to Cornerstone TeleVision -- which blends Christian
>fundamentalism with very conservative political messages. On July
>7, a Pittsburgh community alliance filed a petition with the
>Federal Communications Commission to block the deal.
>
>     How can evangelical broadcasters and for-profit firms get
>away with grabbing frequencies that have been reserved for public
>broadcasting? The schemes vary.
>
>     In Washington, where Salem Communications already owns a
>major commercial station, Salem's nonprofit arm is buying WDCU
>Radio. (The nation's airwaves are saturated with religious
>broadcasters, who now claim 1,648 radio stations -- a third of
>them noncommercial.)
>
>     In Pittsburgh, officials at a pair of public TV stations
>plan to swap one of their channels for a commercial frequency now
>held by Cornerstone TeleVision. That frequency would then be sold
>to a company best known for airing infomercials. Bottom line: One
>of Pittsburgh's two public TV stations would vanish.
>
>     Across the country, such scenarios are possible because few
> [...]

WORT-FM Listener-Sponsored Community Radio
118 S. Bedford St.
Madison, WI  53703
Phone (608)256-2001/2695
FAX (608)256-3704
e-mail <wort@terracom.net>
URL <http://www.netphoria.com/wort>

"Serving the community since 1975"

24 hours/day, 365 days/year of high quality,
alternative news, music & public affairs
programming - call or write for a current schedule!