blues pick

Lisa Otey owl@AZSTARNET.COM
Wed Jul 9 13:50:33 EDT 1997

>I have been dismayed at the lack of piano players in the blues these
>days.  My theory about this is that most of the relatively new blues
>fans came from rock where guitar is the main instrument as opposed to
>some of us who came from jazz where piano plays such an important
>role.  Hence, these folks are more interested in guitar rather than
>piano.  Outsied of Honey Alexander, Omar Sharriff, Ann Rabson and a few
>others, there are not alot of piano players out there, it seems to me.
>Thus, I was thrilled when David Maxwell got a record contract and even
>more thrilled that it is a darn good one.  Tone Cool should be saluted
>for taking a chance on an almost all instrumental piano album and I hope
>other piano fans out there rush out to get it.

I'll look forward to hearing it. I also love Pinetop Perkins. I agree, there
are few of us out there. I hope to get my web site together by September so
you all can check out what I do. As of now,my discs are only available
through me and Hear's Music and Border's in Tucson, Zia Records in Tucson
and Phoenix, Collide in Cannon Beach, OR and Locals Only in Portland, OR.
SMIRKYFACE also has a copy. A lot of people only consider the guitarists
because they don't know that the itinerant barrelhouse and whorehouse
players had just as much to do with spreading the blues around as did the
guitar slingers.    Lisa Otey