Oh what a night

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@GATE.NET
Mon Jul 7 07:31:21 EDT 1997

The Tampa Bay area suffered from a nearly non-existent 4th of July weekend.
 Heavy rains canceled many outdoor concerts and fireworks displays and
postponed others, only to be canceled again the following day.  I was
scheduled to play at Skipper's Smokehouse, an outdoor venue, last night
starting at 5 P.M.  It rained all morning, and predictions were grim for
the evening.  But at about 4 P.M., after almost 4 days of rain-outs, the
clouds parted and the sun peeked through.  A crowd of about 200 die-hards
ignored the forecasts, and our show went off without a hitch, or a drop of
rain.

We dedicated the night to the memory of Johnny Copeland who had played at
the same venue with us last June.

During the first set, we spotted a familiar face in the audience, and
during our first break we talked him into joining us on stage.  So for a
few songs in the middle of our second set we became Jimmy Thackery and the
Second Ward.

A wonderful time was had by all, and by 10 P.M. the van was packed and I
was on the road.  I think I could get used to these early start times.

P.W. Fenton
Tampa, Florida
http://www.gate.net/~pwfenton