what does this mean?

Mike Curtis ironmanc@JUNO.COM
Thu Jul 3 02:54:35 EDT 1997

On Wed, 02 Jul 1997 16:23:29 +0000 Jim Bardsley <bardsljr@UMDNJ.EDU>
writes:
>Mike Curtis wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 20:29:02 -0500 Ray Mikell <mojo@kopower.com>
>writes:
>>
>> >Look into the concept of irony and get back to me, Jim.
>>
>> Irony is not a valid concept in the USA.
>>
>>  -- mike
>
>Irony is PERFECTLY valid, I use it a lot myself, you DOLT!!!   =)

I agree - but MOST people in the USA don't recognize anything except the
lightest, most obvious irony as humor.

Irony is when you say the exact opposite of what you really mean.  Kinda
like politicians, except it is intended as humor.  It is quite popular in
many other areas of the world, e.g. Europe.  But I've seen a LOT of Brits
get themselves in trouble by using deep irony around Americans.

Sometimes irony is very obvious, like when SMirky starts using all those
spurious punctuation clusters when referring to someone most of us know
he's friendly with.  But I'd be most interested if Brian has perhaps
received a reply or two from Americans who missed the rather obvious
ironic humor and thought he was seriously chewing someone out.

>However, maybe I'm thick or maybe the medium itself just adds a layer of
>inscrutability to our communications, but sometimes it hard to perceive
>irony ( unless, of course, it's coming from Smirkyface Brian) unless you
>use one of the *^&%$&#$%&#%& smiley-face things. =)

Exactly my point.

To a European, this sounds strange.  To us Americans, it makes perfect
sense.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most ironic), I think you're safe up to 2
here.  Anything more and you run the risk or seriously offending some.
When you hit around 7 or 8, you'll probably incite Americans to massively
picking up torches and swarming toward your laboratory to destroy the
monster - oops, wrong movie; but you get the drift.  I would put the
Smirksters irony around 2.5.  Had he used real expletives, no smilies,
and been relatively unknown to us, move it up to a good 4, with
significant negative responses.

>PS: Got the new Danelectro Distortion and Chorus pedals and they are
>pretty cool for the money....NBC product report due later.

I've seen 'em in catalogs.  Nifty looking units.  Do they use the typical
"dual distortion with balance control" circuit, where one is light
overdrive, the other is hard punk-fuzz, and the "distortion" control
mixes in reciprocal amounts of each one?  These often have input, output,
drive, and distortion controls, and sometimes one or more tone controls.

 -- IronMan Mike Curtis
The One Man "Better'n A" Band
Electric harmonica, guitar, bass pedals, vocals
Cassette available - Email for details