CD Purchase/Who's got THE power -Reply

Scott McCraw scott@BARNARD.CSSC.OLEMISS.EDU
Tue Jul 1 16:40:24 EDT 1997

>So who's the powerful perfromers these days for YOU. The one(s) that
>stick out
>that move you way deep down. The one(s) that still have an effect the
>next
>day/week/month.....I have no answer right now..I'm thinking and drawing
>blanks

You mentioned Paul "Wine" Jones in your original post.  For my money you're
on the right track.  Stick with the Fat Possum label (based right here in
Oxford, MS).  Discounting his last two records, R.L. Burnside is one of the
most powerful artists recording.  Junior Kimbrough is not so much powerful
as hypnotic.  But, they both are outstanding artists that never fail to
produce affect me to some degree.  Live, both are overwhelming in the right
circumstances.  The best being at Junior's juke in Holly Springs, MS.

Also, check out the new Fat Possum release by T-Model Ford, *Pee-Wee Get My
Gun*.

These guys are doing things that no one else do.

Scott
WUMS
Scott McCraw
Center for the Study of Southern Culture
University of Mississippi
University, MS 38677

Phone: 601-232-5993  Fax: 601-232-5814   E-mail: scott@barnard.cssc.olemiss.edu