NBC; Re:Canada Day,why today

Moose klarocque@OLN.COM
Tue Jul 1 15:21:27 EDT 1997

We have Canada day every tuesday! Na,just once a year, Canada has it's
birthday party.
"Canada Day celebrates the events that occurred on July 1, 1867, when the
British North America Act created the Canadian federal government. The BNA
Act proclaimed "one Dominion under the name of Canada," hence the original
title of the holiday, "Dominion Day." Dominion Day was officially renamed
"Canada Day" by an Act of Parliament on October 27, 1982. This change
reflected the policy of successive governments to downplay Canada's
colonial origins. Canada's national celebration is always observed on July
1, unless that date falls on a Sunday, in which case it is observed the
following day."  So,except for the cough,we feel alright for 130.
Later,Moose

<Scott wrote:
<The real point of this post is to inquire about the significance of this
day
for Canada.  What happened on this date?  Please excuse my obvious lack of
knowledge regarding our neighbors to the north, but, I'm curious.

Scott
---
Scott McCraw
Center for the Study of Southern Culture
University of Mississippi
University, MS 38677

Phone: 601-232-5993  Fax: 601-232-5814   E-mail:
scott@barnard.cssc.olemiss.edu