Gigging

Mike Curtis ironmanc@JUNO.COM
Tue Jul 1 05:30:30 EDT 1997

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997 15:41:02 -0400 Harry Mc Gonigal <blueta2@ENTER.NET>
writes:

>You forgot this one!  "Yea it was really crowded, but they weren't
>drinking!"

Sometimes you might get a crowd that doesn't drink, but unless you filled
the place with the entire congregation of the local Baptist Church you
attend (Baptists don't believe in drinking alcoholic beverages - or dance
halls for that matter, but humor me :-), that's not terribly likely.

Oftentimes this is the fault of the bartender, and to a lesser extent the
waiters/waitresses.  Keep a CLOSE eye on the bar and bartender.  A lousy
bartender can cost the bar money, which is of course blamed on you and
"your" crowd.  Also keep an eye on waiters and waitresses.  Are they
circling through the patrons like vultures, or jaw jacking with their
buddies?  A good waitress can sell a LOT more drinks simply by asking.
And they of course make a lot more money.

When on break or otherwise in the audience, check with people and ask if
they need service and has the service been good, etc.  Ask your friends
if they're getting all the drinks they'd like.  If you see people
standing at the bar looking at the bartender and (s)he's talking, ask
them if they need service, and don't be afraid to holler "Hey Joe - these
folks down here need service".  Their job is to pour drinks, not talk.
Too many of them believe they bring in a crowd (and some do), but unless
drinks are sold, no one makes money.

Once they know that you'll sound off if they're loafing, they'll be more
on their toes.  If they give you any flak, just tell them that the
register affects all of us, and that you don't like being blamed because
the crowd wasn't buying drinks when the problem was that the one selling
the drinks was goofing off.

And let the owner know about this.  He'll appreciate your having the bars
best interest at heart.

A GOOD bartender keeps a CLOSE EAGLE EYE on the bar, and is not afraid to
interrupt a conversation with a "Just a minute please" as (s)he steps to
the other end and says "May I help you?"  And a GOOD bartender can do
this without offending the most picayune of customers.

Keeping this in mind, if you have evidence that customers are not being
offered all the drinks they want, let the owner or manager know, as soon
as you can.  If you tell them first, they can't come back at you later.

I've noticed that the best bartenders spend much more time pouring and
ringing up than lousy ones, given the same crowd conditions.

Sometimes things will slip by you and the owner will say the above (yeah
but they weren't drinking").  My response to this is usually something
like "Well, I can only bring 'em in - I can't pour 'em drinks".

Also, if I notice a lot of drunks, that excuse won't wash with me.
Depending on the circumstances of course, I might say something like
"Well, SOMEONE sold 'em a lot of liquor tonight".

 -- IronMan Mike Curtis
The One Man "Better'n A" Band
Electric harmonica, guitar, bass pedals, vocals
Cassette available - Email for details