acoustic guitar maintenance?

Dr. James Bardsley bardsljr@UMDNJ.EDU
Wed Feb 26 04:44:47 EST 1997

Owen Okie wrote:

> I'm wondering if warm, humid climates, such as a florida, or a tropical
> island is bad for an acoustic guitar. And if so is there anything than can
> be done to protect the guitar. A guitar dehumidifier maybe?
>
> Thanks you for your expertise and experience
>
>                                 Owen

Changes in humidity and temperature will probably result in the frequent
need for retuning, but few other difficulties. The LAST thing you want
to do is dehumidify your guitar, however. For one thing, you don't want
the wood to dry out unevenly, and for another, if you have a
dehumidifier in the room or case, you're still going to have to take the
guitar out into the REAL world, and it's going to be subject to all that
humidity again.

Jim