Blues Appreciation at a young age!

Ray M Stiles raystiles@JUNO.COM
Sun Feb 2 15:49:40 EST 1997

I have been taking my oldest daughter (now 18) to blues shows for the
past few years.  Together we have seen Buddy Guy, Magic Slim, Shirley
King, Jonny Lang, John Primer, Sam Lay, Honeyboy Edwards, among others.
I have also been getting blues CD's for her off and on.  Well, two weeks
ago I picked up an Otis Rush CD and gave it to her without saying
anything.  She finally got around to listening to it, she lives away from
home at college now.  Last night at the Rory Block show she said, "who is
that Otis Rush?"  She just loves him and said that has been her most
played CD this past week.  Boy that was nice to hear her express such
appreciation for someone like Otis.  She also has a 3 hour DJ spot on the
student run radio station at the U of MN (Radio K, 770 AM) and has been
slipping in blues cuts every now and then (their playlist is mostly
alternative music).  <grin>    Any  experiences from the rest of you
regarding the youngun's exposure to the blues?
Ray Stiles