Joel Slotnikoff's review of the St. Louis Festival

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@GATE.NET
Tue Sep 3 05:28:39 EDT 1996

----------
From: Joel Slotnikoff <joelslot@BLUESWORLD.COM>

> "The opener on Saturday (on the main stage) was a local DJ (white)
> with his all white band..."

> "Returning to the stage moments later with an all-white backing band..."

> "Earl King and Frankie Lee were backed by the all-white Butanes...

> "Percy Sledge sucked. He was totally wooden, and, with an all white backing
>  band, had no swing whatsoever."

Joel, do I sense some race based personal problem here?  Why would you choose
to make a point of pointing out the race of only white performers?

> "The smarmy mainstage anouncer, an old St. Louis radio man with not an
ounce
> of cool or hip, began on Saturday with the racist remark "you folks are
> really going to get sunburned, I don't know if there's a sunscreen
> concession,"....

After all your race based remarks concerning the Festival, I'm curious as to
why you call warning people about sunburn a racist remark?

"I read every blues magazine in the world (except BRQ who choose not to comp
me)
and I've never heard of this group..."

Are you pointing out to Blues-Lers who PAY for all their magazine
subscriptions, that the only magazine you won't read is the one you can't get
for free?  What are you telling us here?