Fw: BLUES TERMS, MEANING OF

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@GATE.NET
Sat Nov 30 18:25:19 EST 1996

> ----------
> From: Richard Rosselot <RRosselot@AOL.COM>
>
> Could anyone tell me exactly the meanings of the following blues terms
> used in various songs?
>
> smoking gun
> killing floor

Killing floor was just discussed here, and has been discussed here many
times before.  This is the first time I've seen anyone ask for the meaning
of "smoking gun", so I'll take a crack at it.  I think it means... smoking
gun.  It's not a "Blues Term" in any way, but has been used (probably since
the appearance of guns) as a metaphor for evidence of guilt.  If someone
had been shot, the discovery of a "smoking gun" in the hand of someone
nearby would seem to indicate they were the shooter.  In that way, having
the blood of two murder victims in your Ford Bronco might be considered a
"smoking gun".

P.W. Fenton
Tampa, Florida
http://www.gate.net/~pwfenton