Muddy's Cabin Revisited

bbbean@sheltonlink.com bbbean@sheltonlink.com
Fri Jun 7 14:20:16 EDT 1996

In <9606061013.ZM19685@quickdraw.ccad.uiowa.edu>, "Maintainability Analysis Workspace [Ranko Vujosevic]" writes:

>BLUES BELONGS TO PURISTS AND EVERYBODY ELSE WHO ENJOYS IT - NOT TO
>CORPORATE AMERICA. IF THAT MEANS SUNFLOWER FEST WILL BE ONE DAY, ONLY TWO
>STAGES AT CHICAGO FEST... SO BE IT. I PERSONALLY WILL ENJOY IT MUCH MORE.

So you personally will enjoy it. How nice for you. Perhaps you will send a
postcard to the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of fans who currently
attend corporate sponsored blues festivals and tours.

>I know, I know, you may say, but less number of musicians will get paid.
>Well, that would mean only no Paul Black's but only true blues musicians.
>I think all of this works against blues and against true blues musicians in a
>long run.
>
>        Ranko Vujosevic

Ranko-

Ask some of your "TRUE" blues musicians how they liked the 70s. Ask them
how much they enjoyed going months without gigs and then taking a back
seat to disco.

Also consider that without corporate support, your beloved true bluesman
may possibly be edged out of the market by blues-rockers who manage to
appeal to a more mainstream audience.

I'm frequently called a purist. My tastes run to traditional and acoustic
blues and jump blues. I find most blues/rock repetitive and boring. I have
serious problems with the HOB and the whole Blues Brothers phenomenon.

But I also live in the real world, and I've cashed paychecks from
events that had corporate support and seen dozens of shows that never
would have happened without some corporate bigwig dropping a few $$$ on
the promoters.

Should you be critical of HOB and their white-bread imitation of blues
culture? Absolutely! Should blues societies, artists, and promoters give
up corporate support? Don't be a damned fool. And if HOB accidentally does
something that ends up promoting real blues, so much the better.

BBB

B.B. Bean                               bbbean@sheltonlink.com
Peach Orchard, MO                       http://www.cris.com/~Bbbean