Some of you folks just don't get it

L McCaffrey LMCCAFFR@SCIENCE2.WATSTAR.UWATERLOO.CA
Wed Jun 5 13:21:24 EDT 1996

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Gavin Arneaux wrote:

        Ian Angus wrote "I must say that any definition of blues which hinges on
> or requires ' the third, fifth, and seventh notes of the scale are flatted'
> would exclude an enormous amount of blues music, including most Piedmont, St.
> Louis, Kansas City, Texas, and West Coast style blues, not to mention the
> enormous amount of Soul Blues which has been produced in Atlanta, Houston and
> other cities in recent years.
>         "The blues is primarily about lyrics and a unique emotional form of
> expression. 12-Bar Blues is just one form of blues, not the totality."

 I agree that the 12 bar progrssion is just 1 form of the blues. It is
not possible to define blues but it is possible to define characteristics
of "typical" blues.  ie. the third fifth and seventh notes, bending
notes etc.  A blues song can have any form, it just varies in the amount
of each characteristic included in that song.  If you leave out too many
of the characteristics or add too many non-blues characteristics you move
into another style (ie. country, rock...)

Although... in jazz, when one plays a 12 bar progression they are said to
be playing a blues.  But that is jazz, jazz and blues are two totally
separate styles.

LM