please help! new Melvin Taylor album

Richard Shurman rshurman@CCS.NSLSILUS.ORG
Tue Nov 28 11:41:22 EST 1995

You're referring to "Melvin Taylor & the Slack Band," newly released on
Evidence.  It's new recordings produced by John Snyder with Melvin and
his regular rhythm section.  I don't think Evidence issues stuff in
Holland, so you'll have to track down the U.S. issue.  It does have a
version of "Texas Flood."  I can't say that Stevie Ray Vaughan's
influence is my favorite part of Melvin's playing (though it does relate
to the recent thread on white influences on black musicians), but I will
say that Melvin has been playing this wild and flashy ever since I used
to see him as a teenager in the mid-'70s.