Xmas Ideas, Please

Art Schuna aschuna@VMS2.MACC.WISC.EDU
Sat Nov 25 23:19:08 EST 1995

Sorry for the previously posted screw up - my newsreader has been doing
strange things tonight.  This will be the third attempt at posting this.
Ian Angus was looking for soul blues and blues/R&B suggestions.  Here's a
few of my favorites in the past year:

Soul Blues
1. Lee Shot Williams - Cold Shot (Black Magic 9029
2. Percy Strother - The Highway Is My Home (Black Magic 9030)
3. Percy Strother - A Good Woman I s Hard to Find (Blue Moon or Blue Loon
012)  the label changed names within the last year).
4. Mighty Sam McClain - Give It Up To Love (AudioQuest 1015) this came out
in 1993 but I just discovered it this year.  Since its a small label, I'm
betting most don't have it.
5. Roscoe Shelton - Roscoe Shelton Sings (Excello/AVI 3007)
6. James Carr - The Essential James CArr (Razor & Tie  RE2060)

50s & 60s Blues
1. Little Walter - Blues With A Feeling (MCA/Chess CHD2-9357) - even if you
own the "complete" Charly box, there are 9 tunes on this 2 disc set you don'
t have.  Also, as pointed out by Dick Shurman, many of the Charly tracks
from this set had to use bootleg LPs as source material - why not get the
recordings from the masters?
2. AVI/Excello reissues - Slim Harpo - "The Excello Collection" (2001),
Lightnin' Slim - "I'm Evil" (3002), Lazy Lester - "I Hear You Knockin' " (
3003).  Also the various artists sets "Dark Clouds Rollin' " (3008) - a nice
overview of the label, especially for someone unfamiliar with the artists as
it is kind of a best of set, and Blues Hangover (2002) a collection of some
of the more obscure Excello artists.
3. The Capitol reissue series - I particularly like the Mississippi Fred
McDowell, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Terry and Lil' Son Jackson
sets.

50s & 60s R&B
1. The Savoy reissue series.  Ravens "Old Man River" (SV-0260) and "
Rarities" (SV-0261) - this is one of the few vocal groups in which the bass
takes lead most of the time.  With a voice like Jimmy Ricks', you can
understand why.  Also Big Joe Turner "Have No Fear, Big Joe Turner is Here" (
SV-0265) and Johnny Otis - The Original Johnny Otis Show (SV-0266) are
excellent.  They are each a few tracks short of the previous double LP
issues these originally come from.  If you want these tracks you'll need the
Billy Eckstine/Big Joe Turner/Johnny Otis Completer Disc (SV-0278).  Big
Maybelle's Candy  SV-0262 is also worth looking finding.
2.  Golden Era of Doo Wops:REd Robin Part 1 (7079), Part 2 (7080) and Bobby'
s Boogie - Bebop, Blues & Sanctification (7092) are 3 Relic discs that
collect nearly the entire catalog of one of Bobby Robinson's first labels.
He was an excellent judge of talent and these are definitely worth finding.
3. The Aladdin Records Story (EMI E2 30883) - 2 discs covering one of the
finest early R&B labels.

Well that about sums it up.  Ian, I hope you've been VERY good this past
year so that Santa will bring you a pile of new CDs.

Art Schuna