STAX 8595 : SUPERBLUES : ALL-TIME CLASSIC BLUES HITS V. 3 (1947-1972)

Eric LeBlanc-CISTI leblanc@HAIDA.DAO.NRC.CA
Thu Nov 9 17:23:04 EST 1995

 STAX 8595 : SUPERBLUES         - ALL-TIME CLASSIC BLUES HITS V. 3 (1947-1972)

 It's nice to see well-informed & knowledgeable people compiling useful
 collections.  Kirk Roberts has compiled a 3rd set of blues classics, local
 hits and a few rare tracks for those who have everything, with Lee Hildebrand
 as-usual excellent notes. The mastering is super, and in some cases it's the
 best I've heard.  Take, for example, Joe Morris-Laurie Tate's classic #1 R&B
 Atlantic Recording, "Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere"; You can finally hear Elmo
 Hope's wonderful piano work - yes, the same Elmo Hope who would record with
 John Coltrane. Longtime fans of Ted Taylor (1934-1987) will be happy to see
 his 1958 masterpiece, "Be Ever Wonderful" reissued here.  Also included are
 tracks by Larry Dale, Camille Howard, Eddie Taylor, Billy Boy Arnold - 19
 different artists in all. Like Piano Red/Bertha Colbert sings in "I Ain't
 Nobody's Fool", (and I'm paraphrasing) : "Well now, you better listen to me,
 BLUES-Listener, come on & ride in my V-8; 'Cause if you keep up all that
 walkin', BLUES-Listener, you're gonna get there real real late!". I wouldn't
 even stop for the red light!  Run, don't walk & get this CD.

 Contents : (Total Time = 54 minutes)
 ---------
  1. ELMORE JAMES                     MADISON BLUES                       60/04
  2. BILL BOY (ARNOLD)                I WISH YOU WOULD                    55/05
  3. FRANKIE LEE SIMS                 LUCY MAE BLUES                      53/05
  4. LITTLE WALTER                    LAST NIGHT                          54/10
  5. JIMMY LIGGINS & HIS 3-D MUSIC    DRUNK                               53/10
  6. LARRY DALE                       DRINKIN' WINE SPO-DEE-O-DEE         61/
  7. JOE LIGGINS & HIS HONEYDRIPPERS  PINK CHAMPAGNE                      50/01
  8. CAMILLE HOWARD                   X-TEMPERANEOUS BOOGIE               47/12
  9. PIANO RED/BERTA COLBERT          I AIN'T NOBODY'S FOOL               56/03
 10. MERCY DEE WALTON                 ONE ROOM COUNTRY SHACK              52/05
 11. EDDIE TAYLOR                     BIG TOWN PLAYBOY                    55/12
 12. JIMMY REED & HIS TRIO            I FOUND MY BABY                     53/12
 13. LARRY BIRDSONG/LOUIS BROOKS      PLEADIN' FOR LOVE                   56/03
 14. LARRY DAVIS                      TEXAS FLOOD                         58/08
 15. JOE MORRIS/LAURIE TATE           ANYTIME, ANYPLACE, ANYWHERE         50/06
 16. TED TAYLOR                       BE EVER WONDERFUL                   58/11
 17. GUITAR GABLE                     IRENE                               56/12
 18. LITTLE JOHNNY TAYLOR             I KNOW YOU HEAR ME CALLING          67/01
 19. LITTLE MILTON                    WALKING THE BACK STREETS & CRYING   72/04

 Other Kirk Roberts-Lee Hildebrand projects :
 STAX 7029 : VARIOUS - ALL NIGHT LONG THEY PLAY THE BLUES (THE GALAXY MASTERS)
 STAX 7057 : VARIOUS - BAD, BAD WHISKEY (THE GALAXY MASTERS)
 STAX 8551 : SUPERBLUES - ALL-TIME CLASSIC BLUES HITS V. 1 (1957-1981)
 STAX 8559 : SUPERBLUES - ALL-TIME CLASSIC BLUES HITS V. 2 (1950-1972)