Hidden Gems

Ian Angus ianangus@ANGUSTEL.CA
Mon Nov 6 14:06:15 EST 1995

Two CDs I cherish, but which have never (so far as I can remember)
been mentioned on Blues-L. Neither one is traditional Chicago blues, by
a long shot.

DANA GILLESPIE: BLUE ONE (Wolf 120.956)

I cannot understand why Dana Gillespie isn't better known in North
America. She is a fine blues/R&B vocalist with a gutsy voice that grabs
me every time I listen to her. But she doesn't seem to get much respect
outside of Europe. (She's British, but seems to perform mainly in
Austria.) This CD consists entirely of songs she wrote, with the only
unifying theme that every one has the word "Blue" in the title. Not all
blues, but all excellent. The second track, "Blue Temptation," alone is
worth the price of the CD.

JEANNIE & JIMMIE CHEATHAM: BLUES AND THE BOOGIE MASTERS (Concord Jazz
CCD-4579)

Over at the jazz end of the blues spectrum, the Cheatham's specialty is
West Coast horn-and-piano style blues -- there's not even a guitar in
the band. Jeannie does piano & vocals, Jimmy is on bass trombone. On
this album, Hank Crawford joins in on alto sax on four tracks. I play
this in my office a lot. There's not a bad track on the album, but if I
had to pick a favorite, I'd go with "Lead Dog Blues."

IAN ANGUS                       Tel: 905-686-5050 ext 222
Angus TeleManagement Group      Fax: 905-686-2655
8 Old Kingston Road             e-mail: ianangus@angustel.ca
Ajax Ontario Canada L1T 2Z7     http://www.angustel.ca