New Orleans/Zydeco Blues?

Patrick O'Brien pobrien@keene.edu
Wed Mar 30 10:32:21 EST 1994

I'm going to respond to just the Zydeco half of the question.  There's so
much great N.O. stuff that I don't know where to begin, but here's my
short list for Zydeco:

Beausoleil-- Bayou Boogie      \      or should I call Beausoleil
          -- Cajun Conja        \     cajun?  well it's a mixture
          -- Bayou Cadillac    /
Chubby Carrier-- Boogie Woogie Zydeco
Clifton Chenier-- Bogalusa Boogie
               -- Out West
John Delafose-- Pere et Garcon Zydeco
Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas-- Your Mama Don't Know
Queen Ida-- Caught in the Act
Rockin' Dopsie & the Twister-- Crowned Prince of Zydeco
                            -- self-titled form 1977
Buckwheat Zydeco-- Turning Point

VARIOUS ARTISTS:
Cajun & Zydeco Mardi Gras
Zydeco Shootout at El Sid O's

I just picked up (used) the new Beau Jocque CD on Rounder, _Beau Jocque
Boogie_.  It's his first recording, and includes essential
instrumentation (accordion and rubboard), but has a couple elements not
normally found in zydeco: a bit of rhythmic repetition a la James Brown,
but using the accordion if you can imagine that, and a rap-like beat on a
couple tunes, though no actually rapping.  Not for everyone, and nothing
I would add to my short list above, but interesting AND A REAL GROOVE.

Patrick
(pobrien@keene.edu)