the Robert Johnson cult

Bonnie Kalmbach KALMBACH@MACC.WISC.EDU
Wed Jun 1 12:23:00 EDT 1994

At last, something with which I can disagree with Martin about - it's
true that Robert wasn't as well known or admired as Lonnie Johnson
in the 30's - but his influence wasn't all that inconsiderable: consider
if you will "Dust my Broom" i.e. Elmo's version - now I would think that
that tune was almost as well known in the 50's as Lonnie Johnson's
recordings. Granted the latter's smooth style gave him more universal
appeal...*and*...many people semed to be aware of Robert's biggest "hit",
relatively speaking, : "Terraplane Blues".

                                        -Bonnie