HAPPY BIRTHDAY, T-BONE WALKER

Martin Adamson MARTIN@srv0.ems.edinburgh.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 10:49:59 EDT 1994

 Okay, here I go with some heresy.
> I cannot understand the Robert Johnson cult! I think it stems much more
> from his myth and mysterious death than from any real influence he
> had on the blues. During his lifetime, Big Bill Broonzy was much more
> influential on both song and guitar styles. T-Bone Walker and others
> really set the tone after his death. Johnson's influence on the
> evolution of blues was negligeable ... until long after he died.

I'm with Ian.  No matter how great Robert Johnson was artistically, his
early death, the fact that he recorded during the depression and the fact
that so few of his recordings were issued at the time they were recorded
means that his *influence* on his contemporaries and successors was much
less than many other performers.  *Lonnie* Johnson was more influential.
All this changed when his LPs were released in the 60s and he started to
get written about, of course.

Martin