Women singers/Wynona Carr

Jyrki Ilva ILVA@katk.helsinki.fi
Wed Jun 1 14:04:45 EDT 1994

"R.H.Utley" <R.Utley@SHEFFIELD.AC.UK> wrote:
> Since we're on this thread, it gives me the opportunity to find
> out about a wonderful song I heard on the radio a few years
> back but have never been able to track down.  The song was
> 'Hey Mr Jailer, Won't You Let My Man Go Free' or at least that
> was the chorus, and, here's where the relevance comes in, the
> version I heard was with a great woman singer.  The recording
> sounded 40s, early 50s.  Well folks, any ideas?
>
> robert

"Please Mr. Jailer", by the late great Wynona Carr. One of my
favorite singers, and what a record! It was released on Specialty
records in 1956.

She first recorded as a gospel singer, and "Please Mr Jailer" was
one of her first secular recordings. She recorded many other gems
like "Heartbreak Melody", "Jump Jack Jump" or "Hurt Me", but never
had the big hits she really would have deserved.

Fortunately her classic Specialty recordings are nowadays easy to
get. There is a very good collection of her secular material (sorry,
don't remember the title...), and her early-fifties gospel recordings
are also available.

Jyrki Ilva
Helsinki, Finland
e-mail:ilva@cc.helsinki.fi