Charly Boxed Set: Little Walter

Cooperative Computer Services shurman@CLASS.ORG
Wed Aug 31 12:09:12 EDT 1994

I picked up the same set in London recently dirt cheap at a market stall
(who could resist?).  It has better sound than I thought it would,
considering that many of the tracks were dubbed from the three poorly
mastered and pressed Le Roi Du Blues bootleg LPs from 10-15 years ago.
While it is certainly the most comprehensive overall Little Walter
compilation (MCA was hamstrung for a long time by the disappearance of
about 1/3 of his Chess masters as part of the Le Roi Du Blues escapade
but recovered them a year or two ago), it is a bootleg and also not quite
as complete as advertised.  There's a 1953 session which nobody had
access to at the time of compilation; it's now in MCA's hands and one cut
appeared on the Chess Blues Box.  (The tape has also been making the
rounds; Blues-L-ers who have the Johnny Dyer CD on Black Top can note
that Dyer's version of "Driftin' Blues" is a cover of Walter's unissued
one from the '53 session.)-- Dick S.