Blues-flute

Patrick J Brennick Patrick.Brennick@UNH.EDU
Tue Aug 30 09:17:53 EDT 1994

On Tue, 30 Aug 1994, Pat Hertel wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 1994, Elise Lebordais wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I studied classical flute and now, I would like to learn how improvise and
> > play blues.  Does anyone can give me recommandations (CD, book, etc.) for
> > helping me enjoying my instrument.
> >

>  I am posting to the LIST because I stand to be corrected.
> Didn't the 60's group "Blues Project" feature flute?

They did the immortal "Flute Thing" on Projections (sampled by the
Beastie Boys on a recent CD, purchased by my son). I don;t remember a lot
of flute otherwise.

Roland Kirk did an album that he played flute on exclusively, available
on LP or as part of the 10 CD set that was out a couple of years ago -
and a classic.

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull "borrowed" Kirk's style, and even recorded
"Serenade to a Cuckoo" (I think that was the tune) on their 1st or 2nd
album. But there isn't a lot of blues (as such) flute.

>  Is Elise's question as tough as I think it is?

Yes - maybe a Herbie Mann album recorded with the boys at Muscle Shoals?

Patrick Brennick
...away for far too long...